Many people have posted top [whatever] lists of their favorite applications, and I just thought I’d throw my top seven out there as well, for what it’s worth. Note that my phone is a Verizon Sony xPeria Play R800X running Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread):
1.) MyPhoneExplorer – [ http://www.fjsoft.at/en/ ] An easy way for me to synch my phone contacts with my Outlook Explorer at work & home!
Connect your phone via cable, Bluetooth or infrared and you’ll be surprised how easy and efficient you can manage your phone with this compact software. Since it’s first appearance MyPhoneExplorer evolved into the most popular freeware tool for SE-phones and is constantly extended by new features. Since version 1.8 MyPhoneExplorer also supports Android-based phones (connected via WiFi, USB cable or Bluetooth)
- Address book – with direct sync to Outlook, GMail, Windows contacts, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Lotus Notes and Tobit David
- Organizer with calendar view and direct sync to Outlook, Google, Sunbird, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Windows calendar(Vista), Rainlendar, Lotus Notes, Tobit David and net shared calendars (WebDAV, FTP, local)
- SMS – archive, export, import, excessive messages,…
- File-browser with cache system to minimize data transfer, automatic photo-sync…
- Set phone clock based on atomic time
- and much more. f.e.: call lists, edit profiles, control phone, memory status, phone monitor,…
2.) Walgreens – [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.usablenet.mobile.walgreen&hl=en ] For the quick prescription refill alone [by bottle scan with your camera] this app is well worth the download! I don’t have any prescription medication needs, but my dog is on seizure medication. 😦
• Refill Rx by Scan: Just scan the bar-code on your Walgreens prescription bottle for instant refills
• Or manually enter a prescription number for refills
• You can also order refills from your account history
• Secure access to your prescription history from the palm of your hand
• Set up your account to receive Rx notification reminders when your prescriptions are ready to be refilled and when they are ready for pick-up
• Easily transfer prescriptions to Walgreens by scanning your current Rx bottle, entering patient information and selecting your desired Walgreens for pick-up
• Introducing Quick Prints! Select pictures from your Android albums to print and pick up at your local Walgreens in about an hour. No Walgreens log-in or account required.
• Easily share pictures to Walgreens and Facebook
• View your local Weekly Ad
• Use our scanner to scan bar-codes of Walgreens.com items and add to your shopping list
• Scan QR codes to view additional product or promotional information when available
• Conveniently find one of our many stores using the store locator
• Browse and redeem multiple coupons every week
3.) Endomondo – [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.endomondo.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lbmRvbW9uZG8uYW5kcm9pZCJd ] For any outdoor sports enthusiast, this application will be a joy! Track your walk/run/cycling trips and keep statistics online, and optionally share them out on your social networks like FaceBook or Twitter!
* Track any outdoor sport including duration, distance, speed and calories
* Enter a workout manually, e.g., a treadmill run or weight training
* Get audio feedback for every mile or km while exercising
* Get live pep-talks from friends – they write a short text on our website which is then read out loud to you seconds later
* See your route on a map
* Track your heart rate (works with Polar Wearlink® + transmitter with Bluetooth® and Zephyr heart rate monitor, more info at http://store.endomondo.com)
* View history of workouts and study split times per km or mile
* Set a distance goal and have the audio coach speak to that as your target
* Sync workouts across multiple platforms (web entry, certain watches, file import – signup required)
* Post workouts to Facebook Timeline
* See your friends’ latest workouts in real-time
* Race against a friend’s time and have the audio coach help you perform better
* Compete on a specific route nearby and race against the route champion
* Follow your friends’ latest activities with the social widget on your phone’s home screen
* Keep a log of your music playlist for each workout
* Study routes nearby and use the map to navigate your way around
* Set the app to pause automatically when you are not moving
* Enable countdown
* Customize the main screen to show the information that you find most valuable
* Get instant feedback by tapping your (wired) headset’s media button
* Pause and resume a workout by long pressing your (wired) headset’s media button
* Integrate with bike speed & cadence and heart rate monitor sensors using ANT+
* Integrate with Sony Ericsson’s SmartWatch as a SmartExtra
* Access all your online settings: Profile, sharing, privacy, workout, audio & accessories
4.) Waze – [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waze&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53YXplIl0. ] a FREE app which Integrates a turn-by-turn GPS and social networking, Waze is just fun!
Waze is a fun, community-based traffic & navigation app, 20 million strong. Plug into the driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time & gas $, and improve everyone’s daily commute.
✓ Community generated real-time traffic and road alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, and more.
✓ Complete voice-guided navigation.
✓ Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change.
✓ Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours and preferred routes.
✓ Find the cheapest gas station on your route.
✓ Redeem Wazer-only gas specials at participating gas stations. (currently in the US only)
✓ Meet-up! Share your location/destination and ETA to easily meet up with friends.
✓ Join or create groups to share info about your commute.
✓ Earn points and move up the ranks in your community as you contribute road info.
✓ Live maps, constantly updated by Waze community map editors.
✓ Android widget displays the current ETA and starts quick navigation to home and work
5.) Call Blocker – [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netqin.mm&feature=search_result ] A simple application which allows you to block those annoying @#% who persist in calling/texting your phone. Quickly add them to a ‘black-list’ which sends them to voice-mail or auto-deletes the text/SMS message.
Have you ever wondered how to block those annoying phone calls, or quickly back up your massive contact lists or just protect your privacy by not letting others see your phone call history or SMS? Now Call Blocker Can Help!
–Block unwanted calls (Reject calls, forward or reply with an auto-SMS)
–Block spam SMS (accept phone-book only or simply block black list)
–Back up contacts to a server, so you never lose them!
–Transfer data to new phone (available cross-platform to Symbian / Android / BlackBerry device)
–Quickly and easily erase the call history, delete SMS messages between your phone and individual contacts permanently to protect private data.
Private Space (Premium)
–Automatically move private contacts’ messages and call logs to a Private Space so that they don’t appear in the phone’s regular SMS and call logs
–Keep secrets by hiding the icon as displayed on the main screen, so that nobody knows you are using Private Space.
-Protect your REAL space by creating one or more fake spaces. If anyone wants your password, show her/him the fake one!
6.) Time Warner Cable TV: [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.TWCableTV&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5UV0NhYmxlVFYiXQ.. ] This, of course, only applies if you are a cable customer with Time Warner, but as they are a huge provider, I will list it here. This application allows you to schedule and manage your DVRs remotely via their application, AND if you have Android 4.0 or higher, you can WATCH LIVE TV ON THE PHONE/TABLET!!
Now you can watch your favorite shows* and control your TV using your Android smartphone or tablet.
Turn any room into a TV room*
– If you are a Time Warner Cable video subscriber, the FREE TWC TV™ app turns your Android 4.0 smartphone or tablet into another TV screen and lets you watch selected live cable channels while in your home, through your wireless home network. Watch Bravo from your bedroom, take Food Network with you to the kitchen or catch up on CNBC news from the breakfast table.
Find your favorite shows
– Browse the interactive program guide with up to 7 days of TV listings
– Search for shows by title or episode name, and filter the results by genre
– Set favorite channels to create a personalized program guide
– View detailed program descriptions with color photos and cast information
Program your DVR or change channels from anywhere*
– Schedule one-time or series recordings and change settings on compatible DVRs
– Change channels using your Android smartphone or tablet and compatible DVR or cable box
TWC TV offers channel blocking. To learn how to activate parental controls, tap “settings,” then parental control. To restrict all access to TWC TV, please remember to sign out by tapping “settings”, then sign out.
7.) Gas Buddy: [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gbis.gbandroid&hl=en ]
Uses your GPS to quickly locate gas stations and display them in order of best price or disatance. The prices are updated regularly by the user community [YOU included!] to keep you informed with every price change as quickly as possible. I absolutely LOVE this app!
GasBuddy helps you find the cheapest gas prices in your area.
Find the cheapest gas on the go – for free! Gas prices for USA and Canada only. In one click, locate gas stations near you and see their current gas prices. Never overpay for gas again. For every gas price reported, you’ll earn points toward prize give-away entries. We give away a $250 gas gift card every week. Reporting gas prices is even more fun with awards! GasBuddy is a community of users working together to update gas prices – help everyone save on gas!
Honorable mention: Microsoft Tag: [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.tag.app.reader&feature=search_result ] Quickly scan smart tags on advertisements etc and jump to the related web page.
Download the free Tag app to read Tag barcodes, QR Codes and NFC touchpoints.
The Microsoft Tag app lets you instantly connect to a whole new world of information and entertainment. This latest version now reads Microsoft Tag barcodes and QR Codes as well as NFC touchpoints for those with NFC-enabled devices. No need to type long URLs or text short codes, simply scan a 2D barcode or tap a touchpoint wherever you see one. Tag recognition technologies transform traditional marketing, such as print advertising, billboards, packaging and LCD displays, into live links that immediately access info, videos and other materials online… no typing required.
Of course, there are the usual other applications I would recommend (some only if they apply):
– Skype/Oovoo: make or receive video calls on your phone
– YouTube: easily search and watch public videos streamed over the internet on the popular YouTube video website
– Pandora: free almost-commercial-free music streamed over the internet, pipe it into your car or home stereo via a earphone pass-through plug!
– IMDB (Internet Movie Database) : I always forget names, but with this app I can easily look up a movie by actor/actress or vice-versa, and share out a movie I am watching quickly over a social network site like Facebook.
– Facebook/Twitter: social networking clients for your smartphone/tablet
– Yahoo!Mail/GMail: Yahoo!Mail and GMail client for easily accessing your respective email account via your phone
Now, the following applications will only work if you have a ‘rooted’ phone, which I will not explain here, but you can look it up in any search engine:
– Titanium Backup Free: [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=search_result ] Requires ROOT access. An absolute MUST for cleaning up and managing your phone!
Titanium Backup is the most powerful backup tool on Android, and then some.
You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0ne-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app’s data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.
– aScreenShot Free: [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.longxk.ascreenshot&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sb25neGsuYXNjcmVlbnNob3QiXQ.. ] usually requires ROOT access, allows you to take a screenshot/picture of your phone’s active display screen with the push of a configurable button. aScreenshot, as its name implies, is a screenshot app, which captures your device’s current screen display and saves it as a PNG or JPEG image file.
You can take a screenshot with aScreenshot using following methods:
*Set a delay time
*Shake your device
*Long-press search button